HOMESCIENCE FORM 2
END OF TERM 3 2022
- Answer ALL the questions.
- Name two conspicuous seams used to highlight style features. (2mks)
- Overlaid seam
- Double stitched seam
- Name two self-neatening seams. (2mks)
- French seam
- Double stitched seams
- State five characteristics of a well-made seam. (5mks)
- Strongly stitched to last long.
- Straight stitchery to enhance appearance.
- Matched where they cross or meet.
- Appropriate with and equal in all parts of a garment.
- Well pressed and flat.
- Outline four ways of neatening open seam. (4mks)
- Edge stitching
- Loop stitching
- Machine zigzag and over lock
- Explain how you would make a French seam on the side seam of your shirt/blouse. (8mks)
- Place two pieces of fabrics together with the cos facing each other and R.S OUTSIDE
- Tack matching raw edge and fitting line 6mm above the fitting line.
- Machine along the F.L and remove tacking.
- Trim turnings to 3mm and press open.
- Tum work to W.S and knife edges.
- With F.L enclosing raw edges completely.
- Remove pins stitch along the tacking’s.
- Remove tacking and press the seam over towards the back of the garment.
- Name two forms of malnutrition. (2mks)
- Over nourishment.
- Under nourishment
- Write down three functions of carbohydrates in the body. (3mks)
- Provision of heat and energy
- Storage of glycogen
- Spare proteins if taken in adequate.
- Roughages acids in digestion and prevents constipation.
- Explain the difference between (4mks)
(a) Kwashiorkor and marasmus.
- Kwashiorkor is protein deficiency disease and marasmus is deficiency disease which is caused by inadequate intake of all food nutrient over a period of time
(b) Rickets and osteomalalia.
- rickets caused by lack of vitamin d in children and osteomalalia caused by inadequate intake of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin O in the diet, causing the bones to become weak and fragile.
- Patient has a large swelling on the neck.
(a) Identify the possible deficiency disease she could be suffering from. (1mk)
(b) Give three signs and symptoms of the disease. (3mks)
- Enlarged thyroid gland
- Weight loss
- Change of eating habits
(c) Give two ways of managing the disease. (2mks)
- Treated through drugs or surgery
- Use of iodinated table salt.
- Name three points to observe when taking body measurements. (3mks)
- Wear simple outfits for accuracy to taking body measurements.
- Tie a tape measure around the waist to obtain the natural waistline.
- Stand upright and relax.
- Always put two fingers between the tape measure and the body when taking body measurements.
- List four body measurements required when constructing a blouse. (4mks)
- Front waist length
- Outer arm length
- Chest width
- Inner arm length
- Interpret the following pattern symbols. (5mks)
- Give two reasons for each of the following needlework procedures. (6mks)
(a) Pressing during garment constructions
(b) Transferring pattern markings before removing pattern pieces.
(c) Laying grain line following the warp.
- Define the following terms. (3mks)
- Person who chooses, purchases, uses and maintain goods and services to satify his or her needs or wants.
- Tangible items such as foods, tools, clothes which can be bought or sold.
- Work rendered at a fee such as cleaning service, medical, catering and teaching.
- List three reasons for educating a consumer. (3mks)
- Informs one on the importance of planning for family finances and the need to budget and spend family resources wisely and economically.
- Enables one to interpret and use advertisement wisely and to their own advantage.
- Inform people on their rights as consumers so as not to be exploited by manufacturers or sellers of goods and services.
- Helps people to understand their role as consumers and their importance’s to manufacturers and service providers