END TERM 3 2022
Answer all questions in the spaces provided.
- Express the following numbers in words. (2mks)
- A matatu charges sh. 120 as fare from town A to town B. It has a capacity of 18 passangers. How much money does it make in one day covering 10 trips with full capacity. (3mks)
- Use the divisibility test of 11 to check whether the following numbers are divisible by 11. (2mks)
- Use Bodmas to evaluate. (3mks)
½ 3/5 + ¼ (7/3 – 3/7 ) of 1 ½ ÷ 5
- Victoria spent ¼ of his net January salary on school fees. She spent ¼ of the remainder on electricity and water bills. She then spent 1/9 of what was left on transport. If she finally had sh. 3400. What was her net January salary. (3mks)
- Using mathematical tables evaluate.
- 73402 (1mk)
- 14.52 + 0.7142 (2mks)
- Given that a:b = 1:2 and b:c = 3:4. Find a:b:c (1mk
- Three bells ring at intervals 30mins, 35mins and 50 mins. If they ring together at 11:25 p.m on Monday at what time and day will they next ring together? (3mks)
- The length of minute hand of a clock is 3.5cm. Find the angle it turns through if it sweeps an area of 4.8cm2. (take π=22/7) (3mks)
- Express the following as a single fraction.
- x-1 + x+2 + x (3mks)
2 4 5
- ax – ay + bx –by (2mks)
- Fifteen tractors each working eight hours a day takes eight days to plough a piece of land. How long would it take 24 tractors each working 10 hours a day to plough the same piece of land. (3mks)
- Use factor tree to decompose 256 into prime factors. (2mks)
- Juma, Ali and Hassan share the profit of their business in the ratios 3:7:9 respectively. If Juma receives sh. 6000. How much profit did the business yield. (3mks)
- Use bodmas to evaluate: (4mks)
- A Kenyan bank buys and sells foreign currency as shown in the table below.
|Buying (ksh)||Selling (ksh)|
|1 us dollar||95.34||95.87|
|1 uk pound||124.65||125.13|
A tourist arrived in Kenya with 15000 pounds which he converted in kshs.
- How much kshs did he receive? (2mks)
- He later spend sh. 125340 while in Kenya. He converted the remainder in dollars. How many dollars did he receive? (3mks)
- A metallic cuboid measuring 16cm by 8cm by 4cm was melted. The material was used to make a cube. What is the length of the cube. (3mks)
- Find a if a2 = b2 + c2 given that b=2 c=3.5. (2mks)
- Below is a travel timetable for a vehicle operating between towns A and D 70 km apart.
|C||11.00 am||11.05 am|
- At what time does the vehicle depart from town A? (1mk)
- How long does it take to travel from town A to town B? (1mk)
- For how long does it stay in town B? (1mk)
- At what time does it arrive in town D? (1mk)
- What is the average speed of the whole journey? (3mks)
- A football match lasts 90 minutes with a break of 15 minutes at half time. If a referee allows five minutes extra for injuries and stoppages, what time does a match which kicks off at 4:30 pm end? (3mks)
- A rectangular plot measures 100m by 200m. Determine:
- Its perimeter in km. (2mks)
- Its area in m2. (2mks)
- Its area in ha. (2mks)
- Square tiles of 100cm by 100cm are used to cover the floor. How many tiles are used? (2mks)
- If the cost of 1 tile is sh. 25. How much money will be spent on tiles. (2mks)