GEOGRAPHY FORM 1
END OF TERM 3 2022
Answer all the questions
- Identify two parts of environment (2mks)
- List two theories that explain the origin of solar system (2mks)
- Passing star theory
- Nebular clound theory
- List the first, seventh and the nineth planet (2mks)
- 1- Mercury
- 7 – Uranus
- 9 – Pluto
a. Asteroids (2mks)
- small planet like objects also known planetoid
b. Comets (2mks)
- Orbit around the sun between planet – mars and Jupiter.
- Explain 5 proofs that the earth is spherical. (10mks)
- Possible to fly or sail right round the earth following same direction come back to same point.
- Ship approaching a don and observer standing on shift or on rail ground will see the whole ship.
- Earth rotates form west to east appears earlier in east than west.
- During eclipse of moon – shadow of the earth appears spherical shadows
- Earth’s horizon is always circular
- when moon is viewed through a telescope its appears round
- Photographs taken by satellite at great distance show earth is round.
- Explain five effects of rotation. (10mks)
- Causes day and night one face of east faces the sun while in opposite remains dearkness
- Causer difference of one hour between meridian 15 apast
- causes deflection of winds and oceans currents
- causes variation in the speed of air more speed is fastlist at the equator where earths diameter is longest and shortest.
- Causes rising and falling of the earth tides the totation of the earth brings water surface under influence of high ans low tides during lunar eclipse
- Explain three characteristics of northern summer. (6mks)
- Regions north of equator have a longer day and shorter right
- 21st of June when the sun is overhead along the tropic of overhead along the tropic of cancer all latitudes in Northern hemisphere have the longest day in the year.
- The length of the day increase as latitudes increases until there a continuous day north or arctic circle.
- In creen circle of equator the day are shorted than rights reaching climax at Antarctic Circle 24hrs of right.
- a. list five element of weather. (5mks)
- Air pressure
- Cloud cover
b. List 5 major forms of precipitation. (5mks)
c. list five main types of fog. (5mks)
- advention fog
- radiation fog
- hill fog
- frontal fog
- steam fog
- Use a well labeled diagram to explain formation of convectional rainfall. (10mks)
b. Explain characteristics of conventional rainfall. (10mks)
- Fall in cylennon
- accompanied by thunder
- accompanied by lighting
- its torrential (large drops)
- Lasts a short time (15-20mins)
- ice pellet (hailstones)
- sometimes a accompanied by
10).a. Explain land breeze form. (20mks)
- During the right the sea is relatively warmer than the land since losses it heat more rapidly
- The air over the water being warmer rises while cooler danseur form land flows into replace the rising air.
- Movement of cool air from the land to the sea during the right time is called land breeze.
11) a. Explain four factors to consider when setting a weather station. (8mks)
- Located in an open space where there is free flow of air
- it should be near objects such as building vegetarian or other structures that might be secure from children and destructive animals
- Site should be relatively flat and free from flooding.
b. Name the weather measuring instruments kept in Stevenson screen. (3mks)
- Maximum thermometer
- minimum thermometer
- six’s thermometer
c. Name the instrument used to measure. (3mks)
- Rainfall: Raingauge
- Humidity : hygrometer
- Speed of wind: Anenometet