END OF TERM 3, 2022
TIME: 1 HOUR 45 MINS
NAME: ………………………………………………. ADM. NO: ……………CLASS…………….
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES:
– Write your name, admission number and class in the spaces provided above.
– The paper consist of two Sections A and B. Answer all the questions in the spaces provided.
– Mathematical tables may be used.
FOR EXAMINER’S USE ONLY:
|SECTION||MAXIMUM SCORE||CANDIDATE’S SCORE|
SECTION A – (40 MARKS)
1. Define the term physics. (1 mark)
2. State three career opportunities related to physics. (3 marks)
3. The table below shows some basic quantities and their SI units. Complete the table to show the missing entries. (2 marks)
|2||Amount of substances|
4. A stone of mass, 40g was completely immersed in a liquid. The levels of the liquids are shown
in the figure.
Determine the density of the stone in SI unit. (2 marks)
5. (a) One of the factors that affect surface tension is temperature of the liquid. State one other
factor. (1 mark)
- Use surface molecules A, B, C and inner molecule D shown below, to explain why surface
6. Name two forces that determine the shape of a liquid drop on a solid surface. (2 marks)
7. 1800cm3 of fresh water of density 1000kg/m3 is mixed with 2200cm3 of sea water of density 1025kg/m3. Calculate the density of the mixture (4mks)
8. State the reason why it may not be possible to suck a liquid in to your mouth using a drinking straw
in the surface of the moon. (1 mark)
9. In building construction, beans made of concrete are reinforced with steel. Explain. (2 marks)
10. When a liquid is heated in a glass flask, its level first falls and then rises. Explain this observation.
11. Name the thermometric liquid that is most suitable to use in very cold places. (1 mark)
12. (a) State one factor which makes gases compressible. (1 mark)
(b) The figure below shows a set up used to demonstrate Brownian motion in gases.
State the role of the; (3 marks)
- Convex lens.
(iii) Beam of light.
(c) Define the term diffusion. (1 mark)
13. Highlight two factors which shows that heat from the sun does reach the earth surface by convection. (2 marks)
14. The figure below shows some wax at the end of a copper rod.
State three factors that affect the rate at which the wax melts. (3 marks)
15. (a) Define force and give its S.I units (2mks)
(b) State three effects of force on an object (3mks)
(c) Name and show forces acting on a box placed on a table. (2mks)